What are centipedes?
Centipedes are nuisance pests known for their many legs and quick movements. These unique insects have an elongated, flattened body that is usually a yellowish-gray or brown color. Most species of centipedes have very long antennae, and one pair of legs per body segment – the first pair of legs end in sharp claws that they use to help capture prey. Centipedes are carnivores and they help to control the populations of nuisance insects.
Are centipedes dangerous?
Centipedes are nuisance pests, but their personal space should always be respected, and you should never pick them up. While rare, centipedes can deliver venom-filled bites to people. While their bites are painful, the venom they inject is not strong enough to elicit any serious reaction in most people.
Centipedes are attracted to places that provide them with moisture and food (insects). If centipedes are living in or around your home in large numbers, it may be a sign of a moisture problem within your home or a bigger overall pest problem.
Why do I have a centipede problem?
Centipedes have high moisture needs and live outside in damp, dark areas. The soil around the foundation of our house is often home to centipedes. If the weather becomes too hot and dry, these leggy pests will search for areas of moisture. They find their way into our homes under basement doors, through vents, or cracks in the foundation. Our homes often provide centipedes with the cool, damp environments that mimic their outdoor environment.
Where will I find centipedes?
Outside, centipedes live in the soil under mulch, stones, landscape ties, logs, and trash cans. Inside, centipedes look for moist areas and gravitate to basements, crawl spaces, and areas under sinks in kitchens and bathrooms.
Common hideouts include:
- Under cement slabs
- Spaces between cement walls
- In or around floor drains or sump pumps
- In or under cardboard boxes, stacks of newspapers, or magazines
How do I get rid of centipedes?
Alder Pest Control will help you to get rid of centipedes from your Arkansas property. We will work closely with you to not only meet your pest control needs but to exceed them. We provide the comprehensive services necessary to eradicate pests and prevent them from returning.
If you are ready to get rid of pests from your home or business, our professionals are happy to help! We will work with you to put the services in place needed to maintain a pest-free property. For more information about our centipede control services, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent centipedes in the future?
The easiest way to protect your property from centipedes is to partner with Alder Pest Control. You can also use the following prevention tips to help keep centipedes from invading your property in the first place:
- Repair any leaking pipes and use dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and ventilating fans to rid your home of excess moisture.
- Seal up spaces around windows, doors, and air conditioning units.
- Place door sweeps on basement doors and clean out window wells around basement windows.
- Make sure that drains and areas around sump pumps have mesh covers on them.
- Create a barrier between any mulch or soil and your home’s foundation.
- Remove tree stumps, logs, and other debris from your property where these leggy creatures could hide.
- Store trash cans and recycling bins up off of the ground to stop centipedes from hiding under them.
Recent Blog Posts
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.
For Expedited Service Call (479) 269-4373