What are mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes have a fly-like appearance and make a distinctive buzzing sound that lets you know they are present and trying to feed on your blood. These insects have scaled wings and long thin legs; they also have a proboscis. A proboscis is an elongated mouthpart used to pierce the skin of their warm-blooded host and then feed on their blood. Mosquitoes also use their proboscis to feed on plant nectar, which is their primary source of food. Only female mosquitoes consume blood meals; they do this to get the protein they need to create eggs and complete their life cycle.
Are mosquitoes dangerous?
Mosquitoes are considered one of the most dangerous creatures in the world because of their ability to spread diseases to people. Diseases mosquitoes spread in our area include the West Nile virus, St. Louis encephalitis, and eastern equine encephalitis, among others.
These flying pests not only pose a danger to us but our pets as well. Mosquitoes infect our cats and dogs with parasitic heartworms which can be fatal. When it comes to heartworm disease, the best way to protect your pets is to partner with their veterinarian and put them on a year-round heartworm preventative.
Why do I have a mosquito problem?
Mosquitoes are most problematic around areas of standing water and when the temperatures are warm, and the humidity is high. Spring and summer is the time of year when mosquitoes are most active. Yards with or located near things like drainage ditches, heavily wooded areas, ponds, lakes, marshes, or slow-moving creeks tend to have the most problems with mosquitoes.
Where will I find mosquitoes?
Adult mosquitoes stay close to where they hatch (about 300 feet). Female mosquitoes will lay their eggs in a variety of places in yards including:
- Mud puddles
- Clogged gutters or drainage ditches
- Containers or buckets
- Wading pools or birdbaths
- Tree stumps or tree cavities
During the heat of the day, mosquitoes rest under tree canopies, in woodpiles, under decks, in shrubs, or tall grasses.
How do I get rid of mosquitoes?
Alder Pest Control will help you to get rid of mosquitoes from your Arkansas property. We will work closely with you not only to meet your pest control needs but to exceed them. We provide the comprehensive services necessary to eradicate pests and prevent them from returning.
If you are ready to get rid of pests from your home or business, our professionals are happy to help! We will work with you to put the services in place needed to maintain a pest-free property. For more information about our mosquito control services, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent mosquitoes in the future?
The easiest way to protect your property from mosquitoes is to partner with Alder Pest Control. You can also use the following prevention tips to help keep mosquitoes from invading your property in the first place:
- Check around your yard for containers that are collecting water; dump the water out, and then flip them upside down.
- Keep gutters and downspouts free of debris and directing water away from your foundation.
- Cut back dense shrubbery and bushes from your home’s exterior walls.
- Keep the grass in your yard cut short.
- Keep mosquitoes out of your home by keeping doors and windows shut as much as possible and making sure screens are intact.
- Make yourself less appealing to mosquitoes by wearing an appropriate mosquito repellent and wearing light-colored clothing.
- Avoid mosquito bites by staying indoors when mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk.
Recent Blog Posts
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.